Teacher Resource List
Photos & Drawings
- Photos for Lily Iowa Department of Natural Resources factsheets (scroll to the bottom of the page and choose "factsheets" ) [external link]
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources Iowa Wildlife page [external link]
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Biodiversity of Iowa; Aquatic Habitats CD (To request a FREE copy, email email@example.com)
- Iowa Native Plant Society [external link]
- Iowa Association of Naturalists pamphlet series [external link]
- Iowa Herpnet – Field Guide to Iowa Reptiles and Amphibians [external link]
- LadyBird Johnson Wildflower Center Image Gallery [external link]
- Silos & Smokestacks National Heritage Area
- The Vascular Plants of Iowa digital edition - This book has a nice natural history overview as well as a description of Iowa's natural regions and the plants associated with those regions.
- Our Good Earth (National Geographic) – This September 2008 article, written by Charles C. Mann and featuring the photography of Jim Richardson, is accompanied by stunning photographs that show the connection between people and the soil. The website includes the article text and a photo gallery, along with notes by the photographer and other interactive elements.
- Prairie Voices: Iowa Heritage Curriculum – Created by the State Historical Society of Iowa, this set of lessons includes a number of environmental history lessons.
- Iowa Geographical Map Server – This site offers an on-line map viewer linked to Iowa geographic map data. Suitable for upper grades or for teacher use.
- Amana Heritage Society – History page
- The Amana Colonies: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
- Life in Amana : Reporters' View of the Communal Way, 1867-1935, compiled by Joan Liffring-Zug Bourret (Iowa City: Penfield Press, 1998)
- Jonathan G. Andelson, "The Challenge of Sustainability: A Cautionary Tale from Amana," Communal Societies, Vol. 31, No. 1 (2011)
- David B. Heusinkveld with Peter Hoehnle, The Amana Landscape (Iowa City: Penfield Books, 2012)
- Peter Hoehnle, The Amana People: The History of a Religious Community (Iowa City: Penfield Press, 2003)
- Bertha M. H. Shambaugh, Amana, The Community of True Inspiration (Iowa City: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1908)